Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Greetings and Salutations!

Well I never thought I'd start a blog just about food. It's silly really as food is such an enormous part of my life. Unlike most people who don't ever have to think twice about what they're putting in their mouth, I have to be very careful. You see I have both food allergies and celiac disease. CD is an autoimmune disorder wherein my immune system attacks the body in the presence of gluten. Gluten is a protein found in the following grains: wheat, barley and rye. There is also some scientific debate about whether or not oats have gluten as well. All I can say is, I react badly to oats and therefore have eliminated them as well. I'm also allergic to diary, eggs, pineapple, brewers yeast and while not officially allergic I know my body well enough to also avoid peanuts and too much soy. So you can see that I probably read a lot of ingredient lists, rarely if ever eat out and well, I cook just about every meal I consume. Even on vacation. It's too difficult to expect anyone to try to feed me so I also cart a lot of what I eat around with me. I'm actually quite okay with this and only rarely get emotional about it. It is what it is. There's so much I still CAN eat and that's what I choose to focus on.

Speaking of focus, this blog is really just meant to be a place to store my recipes. By "my" I mean recipes I like to cook, BBQ or bake, not that I necessarily came up with them on my own. I will most definitely give credit where credit is due and note (if I can remember) the original source for any recipe I've taken and altered to be gluten free (GF). I hope you find a few good one's here yourself.

Good eats and good health to you all!
Jenn

No comments:

Post a Comment