• 1 3/4 cup (approx. 165 grams) fresh cranberries
• 1 apple, washed, core and diced (I used Gala)
• 1/2 cup brown sugar
• 1/4 cup apple cider
• 1 Tbs. orange zest (optional)
• 2 tsp. cinnamon
• 2 eggs
• 3/4 cup granulated cane sugar
• 1/4 cup butter or non-dairy alternative, melted (Earth Balance® Buttery Sticks)
• 1/4 cup "natural" (unsweetened) applesauce
• 1 tsp. vanilla extract (Neilsen-Massey® Madagascar Bourbon Vanilla)
• 1/4 cup sour cream, dairy or non-dairy (Follow Your Heart® Soy Sour Cream)
• 1 1/4 cup Jules Gluten Free™ All Purpose Flour
• 1/2 tsp. baking soda
• 1/4 tsp. sea salt
• Sugar-cinnamon mixture for topping (optional)
Preheat oven to 325° F (static) 300° F (convection)
Wash and remove stems from cranberries. Combine in a medium-sized bowl with the apples, brown sugar, apple cider, orange zest and 1 Tablespoon cinnamon. Pour into a 9 x 9 square baking pan or a 10-inch pie plate and set aside.
Beat eggs and granulated sugar until light, approximately 1-2 minutes. Add butter, applesauce, vanilla and sour cream, beating until well mixed. Stir in the flour, baking soda and salt; beat until fully integrated and smooth.
Pour flour batter over the fruit mixture; sprinkle with sugar-cinnamon mixture, if desired.
Bake for 55 minutes, or until a toothpick or skewer inserted into the center comes out clean. Serve warm with or without ice cream (dairy or non-dairy).
~ Jules Gluten Free